Saturday, February 7, 2009

The spinning mojo is back!

I went to my first spinning guild meeting last weekend with Steve and it was also the first time I've spun in about 2 months. I enjoyed the meeting and I'm looking forward to attending the next one. I worked on the baby alpaca from Alpaca With A Twist that I bought several months ago at Knitch.


It's combed top and was so nice to spin up. The yarn is so soft and I plan to make a nice scarf to enjoy the softness around my neck and next to my face, which seems to be the place everyone automatically puts it when they pick it up anyway.

without flash

with flash

The color is almost the same color as my own hair with a little more grey in it. I photographed it on the piece of granite so the soft brown tones are more apparent. I plan on buying more of this roving. I want to find the natural chocolate brown color.

I've now started back spinning the fuschia silk/wool blend I bought at Knitch last year in July at the same time I got the alpaca. I think it's from Lendrum. (oops, it's actually from Louet)


It had been set aside when I started spinning the alpaca. I'm trying to spin it thinner so it's about fingering weight. I thought the alpaca was going to be thinner when I was spinning the singles. I was surprised how much it fluffed back out after it was plied.

Knitting wise lately I've been working on a new sweater like my grey one that I designed several years ago. I'm making it with Paton's Acadiana (Ackrylic). The original is made with the same yarn, but a charcoal grey color, and the yarn is really soft now after being laundered several times. The color of this one is a denim blue. I'm also still working on the hat for Brett as a test knit for his pattern.

For my AKG Mountain retreat project this year I've decided to scavenge the stash for leftover Cascade 220 and make another pair of the Fiber Trends felted clogs. Michael has taken a shine to the first pair I made, so it will be wise to have another pair to wear on cold mornings. I've decided to frog the double knit scarf from Son of Stitch-N-Bitch that I started ages ago for some of the yarn.

buh-bye

I like the scarf and I'm glad I learned the double knitting technique, but the scarf is just too heavy and I don't think I'd ever wear it anyway. The yarn will be better used in the clogs. I'm thinking I'll try the scarf pattern again, but this time use Noro sock yarn instead so it will be lighter and have some fun color changes too.

We had a new male member join the Knitting guild this past Thursday! A very nice guy named Tom and he owns and runs a campground called In The Woods Campground. He is hosting a knitting retreat there March 12-15. It is a clothing optional campground, but the knitting retreat will be a clothed event, unless you feel the urge to go streaking through the woods. I guess it depends on how much wine or martoonies you have. There's a hottub too so you could knit and felt at the same time if you want to. It's a bit of a drive for Tom to get to the guild meetings from Canon, GA, but I hope he will become a regular attendee. In talking with him he said he most often shops at Main Street Yarns in Watkinsville and Yes Yarn in Anderson, South Carolina.


The Mountain is just a week away and I'm ready to get out of town and away from work for a bit!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll have a great time at The Mountain.
    I can't go this year, as my kids are visiting that weekend. I'll be happy to have them here, but that Mountain retreat last year was SO much fun.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete