Saturday, June 13, 2009

long overdue update post, with lots of pix

Since the last time I blogged, the beginning of May... a lot has been going on. It's been so long, I hope I still have some readers out there.

I've been really busy at work getting ready for our summer reading program for the kids. The theme this year is "Be Creative" and we've been having fun. I had a great time putting up the phrase on the wall in the children's area using whatever I could find in the library.


I used free AOL cd's that we have saved for craft projects for the "B" and post-its for the "E".
The "C" and "R" are origami that I've made over the years and foam flowers from the craft closet.

"E" and "A" are paper towel tubes and rubber bands. The "A" took the longest as there are about 400 rubber bands up there.


The "A" shot from below. I taped the rubber bands on the wall starting at the bottom and working my way up to the top.


The "T" is comprised of paper flowers we made for the spring.

the "I" is made of books cover scraps and the "V" is made from the leftover hair braid from a Rapunzel display I did.

The last "E" is made from the cores of our receipt paper and cellophane tape.

It hasn't been as busy this year which is a little disappointing. It just means less kids reading fewer books.

I started a little garden outside out apartment door. My friend Regan gave me a tomato and basil seedling which are doing great!


We even have blooms on the tomato plant already. I don't know whether I got red cherry or yellow pear tomatoes. It's going to be a surprise.


I also bought some thyme and rosemary to plant with the basil, but I ended up putting the rosemary in a separate pot since it likes sandy soil. The other pot is morning glories. We had them all down the stair railing outside a few years ago and I had saved all the seeds and kept them in the fridge in a ziplock baggie. I wasn't sure they would be viable any more, but I think every seed germinated and I still have a lot of seeds left for later. I won't know what color they will be until they start blooming since I had a mix when I originally planted them.



Now, as far as the knitting goes... I finished a shawl for my sister-in-law a couple of weeks ago. It's the Shetland Garden Shawl by Sivia Harding. (modeled here by my friend Meg)


I used Alpaca Cloud from Knitpicks in the color tide pool heather. It's incredibly soft and I have a few more skeins to make something else. It was really nice to knit with.
Here's a picture I took when it was being blocked.. The color in the picture above is a better representation of the color.


I've also been working on a knitted chicken for a contest at Knitch to benefit Egleston Children's Hospital. All the chickens will be donated to the hospital for kids, but the other part of the contest ($25 gift card each month for a year ) is probably more of a selfish motivator than knitting for kids. There, I said it. Win or lose, it's a great contest for a very worthy cause and I've had a blast creating my entry.



Yes, it's Babs from Chicken Run, but I decided to change her name to protect the innocent and call her Dorothy 'Lay'more since it might get me in hot water if I used her 'real' name. I knit most of her with Shepherds Wool and then felted her. The eyes and teeth I needle felted and I also needle felted the flowers on her knitting bag. The nest is also felted, but I used Galway and it doesn't felt as well as the Shepherd's Wool. I left all the loose ends and even added some scraps of the yarn to make it look more like a nest. That's Blanche in the background supervising the photo shoot.

I've started a lace scarf using my hand spun that I made using the roving I bought at Stitches South from Lisa Souza. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will have some when I get a little further along.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Love your shawl, your chicken ,your green thumb and how CREATIVE you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative, I love the pictures and the Dorthy is a 'hen', very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW1 Wow! The lettering! Just brilliant! And the gorgeous shawl! And that CHICKEN!! Worth the wait for this post.

    ReplyDelete